Fair Debt Collection Practices Act in Northwest Georgia
Understand Your Rights Under the FDCPA
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) protects consumers’ rights and regulates collection practices of consumer debt. Bournakis and Mitchell, P.C. provides knowledgeable legal services for understanding federal and state laws regarding consumer debt collection. Contact our Northwest Georgia bankruptcy attorneys today at (706) 295-7376.
Regarding communication, the FDCPA prohibits creditors from:
- Calling you late at night or early in the morning
- Contacting other people about your debt
- Bothering your family
- Calling you at your job if you tell them you cannot get collection calls at work
- Contacting you at all if you order them not to do so in writing
- Contacting you directly if you have an attorney
The FDCPA also sets rules prohibiting abusive or harassing collection tactics. Under this law, creditors cannot threaten to use violence, make false or misleading statements, or engage in unfair practices when collecting consumer debts. At Bournakis and Mitchell, P.C., our Northwest Georgia bankruptcy lawyers are well-equipped to represent you against creditors, and we can use nearly 20 years of combined experience to discuss your options for dealing with your debt.
Protection Against Unfair Collection Practices
The FDCPA protects consumers against unfair collection practices. Under this regulation, creditors must inform the consumer of who they are and which collection agency they represent. They must also provide verification of the debt and inform the consumer that they can legally dispute the amount of the debt within 30 days.
Under the FDCPA, creditors cannot:
- Deposit a post-dated check prematurely
- Collect any amount greater than the debt
- Take or threaten to take the debtor’s property unless legally allowed
- Use deception to make the debtor pay for telegrams or answer collect calls
- Contact the debtor by postcard
Having a professional and friendly Northwest Georgia bankruptcy lawyer to represent you against collection agencies can make a big difference. At Bournakis and Mitchell, P.C., we strive to offer personal attention and dedicated legal services to help meet your needs. To us, you are not just a name or a number, and we pay close attention to the specific details of your case to help seek a positive outcome.